Saturday, September 25, 2010

Interrupted Sleep

During the one week when I was back at work, Aydreanne slept thru the night. I thought about how lucky I was to be able to get about 6 hours sleep, having to wake up only once to express milk. Other working mums I know were only getting 4 hours.

But now that I'm not working, she's waking twice in the night. Maybe she knew I had to work then and decided to help me out.

So I only get 2 - 3 hours sleep per sleep cycle as I will wake to feed her. After a feed, she usually falls right back to sleep. Whereas I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep. And when I do, she's up again needing her next feed. So I'm still pretty sleep deprived.

But I'm very thankful that I'm not working now so that I do get to sleep in till 10am (if Aydreanne does sleep in) even if it means I only get a total of 7 hours of interrupted sleep.

But in the first few months of a baby's life, the baby is going to wake a few times in the night. So no point worrying about it or complaining. May as well just embrace it as neither of us have a choice in the matter. Things will get better in a matter of months.

Anyway, I miss her when she is asleep. Even if she's just in the next room. So I'll just enjoy this phase while it lasts, sleep deprived or not.


No comments: