Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My stance on consuming shark's fin

I’m so sick of Chinese food. It’s only the 11th day of CNY and I‘ve had enough of yee sang, shark’s fin, abalone and the usual rich Chinese fare. Thank goodness the last CNY lunch with the client ended yesterday. There’s another CNY dinner with a supplier this Fri. It’s gonna be in a Jap restaurant tho. A bit odd but I welcome the change.

I’ve not eaten shark’s fin in the last 3 years. Mine are due to ethical reasons. The fins are cut off and the sharks are thrown back into the sea, left to fend for themselves when they can’t swim. That’s utterly cruel.

However, after thinking about it, the shark’s fins which are served in Chinese restaurants have probably been killed for dried and stored for a couple of years. So if the soup is prepared and served to me and if I don’t eat it, it will only be thrown away. So the shark would have died in vain. Poor shark.

So my new stance is that I would eat it if it was served to me during a wedding dinner or a banquet. But I will not willingly order it.

So please note that there will be no shark’s fin soup during my wedding dinner.

Come to think of it, there’s not even going to be a Chinese dinner.

Steak and Moet sounds better than shark’s fin, doesn’t it?

2 comments:

dreamer said...

steak, moet and lobster? No unethical killing and throwing back of lobsters right? hehehehe

Bubbles said...

I would like to be a vegetarian so that no animals are killed becuase of me. But unfortunately try as i might, I'm allergic to vegetables and I'm too carivarious.

So should animals be killed for food (people tell me that we are on top of the food chain but i still can't help but feel sorry for the animals), their death should be delivered as quickly and as painlessly as possibly.