Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Gone Are The 'S' Days

Something happens to a woman’s body after they turn 30.


I’m staring into the mirror and I don’t look that much different from 10 years ago. Me weight is exactly the same as when I was in college. My waist is and has always been 24” – 25” for as long as I remember.


But yet something has changed because clothes don’t fit anymore. The skirts seem obscenely short. The pants can hardly be zipped. The dresses don’t complement anymore. I could wear them when I was 15. And I could wear them just a few months ago. Seems like age has crept up on me. I still feel like I’m 7 sometimes. I guess my body is telling me that I’m 30.


Gone are the size ‘S’ days. I’m an M now but I don’t look any different. Which means I’ll probably be a British size 10 now. This is so odd.


Friends who are in their mid 30s tell me it’s because that which was muscle (not that I had a lot to begin with) has now turned into fat. And my style or fashion sense has changed.


I don't believe in diets and I’m not the exercise type although I sometimes like to dress like a gym bunny just for fun because I can look the part. Or maybe I just like being a bunny (some would remember my fixation on bunnies not too long ago). Maybe it’s time to stop taking my body for granted and start working at it. Apparently, dancing in a club in 3” heels while chugging alcohol and smoking isn’t considered exercising.


So what’s going to happen to all the clothes which don’t fit anymore? I cleared out 1/3 of my wardrobe. I used to be very branded when I was younger. The Guess, Versace, Kenzo, DKNY, Calvin Klien, Ralph Lauren, Benetton, Quicksilver, Levi’s and other brands of jeans, pants, tops and dresses which don’t fit have been placed in 3 piles on the floor. I tried putting them into 2 piles but they toppled over. I’m staring at them wondering what to do with them.


I’ve given clothes to charity before so there’s probably some kampung kid running around wearing a French Connection t shirt.


But they’re too expensive to give away to charity! Thinking back, I have no clue how I could afford branded goods costing thousands of dollars when I was still a student. I used to make yearly pilgrimages to Singapore to shop. Isn’t it ironic how I hate shopping now?


Maybe I’ll try selling them. At the Centrepoint jumble sale this Sunday 5th August.


And then take the money and get a new set of clothes which fit and is befitting of this 30 year old.


Dammit! Then I’ll have to go shopping. This sucks.


No comments: